Saturday, July 16, 2016

Butterflies abound

Today(16th) would have been DS1 31st birthday and as we always associate butterflies with him I decided today was the day to finish this quilt. I have loved the pattern since it first came out and bought the kit( well DH did for my birthday)  two years ago. All sewn and off to the quilters, hopefully in time for Kilmore's quilt show. Alas Leanne found a flaw in one of the sashings so.... more butterflies were cut out and they were so beautifully incorporated into the final quilting, covering the flaw. Leanne did an amazing job as always and I just love it. Next year's quilt show it will be in there.I sewed the binding on and was all set to do the hand stitching when, after getting to the top, I realised I hadn't put a hanging sleeve on. Well that meant it has languished on the bed in the spare room for about 8 months until this morning. I only had the top and the hanging sleeve to hand stitch in place and that is now done so thinking of my beautiful boy while I put in each stitch.

This is some of the beautiful quilting surrounding the butterflies.

A rogue butterfly but you can see how well it was brought in to the quilt. Well worth the wait as the quilting makes it all perfect.

7 comments:

  1. I can only imagine the loss of a child....heartache.......great to get this special quilt finished on this day........

    ReplyDelete
  2. hI Liz ienjoyed our chat today and i look forward to meeting you soon.
    Your quilt is gorgeous and how lovely that butterfies remind you of him,this quilt you will hold dear to your heart as you remember the wonderful times with your boy.
    You are in mythoughts today Liz and sending you big hugs my friend xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know how much this quilt means to you Liz and it so beautiful. Thinking of you today....lots of love xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a wonderful thing to work on today... Lovely to have it finished. Special memories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your quilt is amazing and hope it was comforting working on it today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Memories and friends - perfect way to remember your boy.

    This is a pattern I have started, it is so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Memories and friends - perfect way to remember your boy.

    This is a pattern I have started, it is so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete